Wait a second... Why do we do all this? Because the ancient Celts believed that dead souls wandered the earth on this night? Seems a little messed up to me. I was actually surprised to learn that in Scotland, they used to practice divination rituals on Halloween, most of which were centered around finding your future spouse. This might explain our customs for slutty nurse costumes and muscle suits.
Anyway... in keeping with tradition, I joined the throngs of adults who will go to a party in costume, while enjoying some sweets that can't be healthy. As a kid, it was mostly fun because I ended up with a pile of candy at the end of the night. Now, however, the part I enjoy most is using my creativity to find a new costume. I've decided to go a step further this year, and make the costume myself. Here are the results of said adventure:
| My current profile pic |
| Obi-Wan Kenobi |
Instead of just modeling a lightsaber off of what Obi-Wan's looks like in the movie, I decided to make one that actually represents me. In case you weren't aware, I own a motorcycle. Unfortunately, there was a point when riding my motorcycle where I dropped the bike hard enough to scrape off one of the foot pegs (no injuries thanks to my gear, thank God). I recovered the foot peg, but was unable to re-attach it. There are also some other pieces that I've replaced, but kept the old parts. As representation of myself, I've decided to use these pieces from my motorcycle in order to make my lightsaber.
To make it functional requires a small LED light bulb and a focusing surface. Even though Obi-Wan's blade is blue, I decided to go with green. I am making it to represent me, and green is my favorite color. So for those hardcore fan's of accuracy when depicting characters from movies (especially Star Wars), I apologize.
![]() |
| My Lightsaber |
![]() |
| Completed Jedi Costume |
With my completed costume, I can now convince any storm trooper that "these aren't the droids you're looking for." Now I just needs some droids... and a landspeeder...
Total Cost: $40
Tools required:
- Soldering Iron
- Sewing Machine
Related Quote: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope


No comments:
Post a Comment