Monday, March 1, 2010

Rain, the way it should be.

Due to the surprising amount of water falling from the sky we've been getting here in Tucson, I've decided to post about rain. Now I recognize that those who have grown up in the southwest 'know' what rain is, but I would like to say what REAL rain is like. Now we've all seen how Tucson rain turns roads into rivers, right? I would like to propose that this is NOT normal! Growing up in the northwest, I have a different perspective on rain:


1.) Water + dirt = mud... Now just to clarify, I don't mean the sandy mud that you find at the beach or here in Tucson, but soft dirt that plants could actually grow in.

2.) Roads != Rivers... A path that has a lower center than sides is clearly meant for drainage... so why do we have so many roads designed like that here in Tucson!?

3.) Rain == Life... When rain falls, plants grow. To specify: all plants grow, not just weeds. Why is it that everytime it rains, it seems like weeds spring out of nowhere, but other plants seem unaffected... While weeds do grow faster in the NW, the mud (see (1)) makes it EASIER to pull them up, and other things grow as well... When I was younger, living with my Mom, I used to mow the lawn. There was one place where we had chopped down an apple tree years ago, and everytime I would mow down a little apple tree (usually about 4-5 inches tall). Why can't there be plants (not weeds) that resilient here in AZ?

4.) Rain = Cleansed + Renewed + Refreshed... For me, rain clears the air of toxins (especially cigarette smoke), renews the ground, and refreshes my soul. I do not understand how people can get depressed because the sun is blocked for a couple days... I think it's great when you can actually open your eyes outside without sunglasses! I have no problem when the ball of fire that causes skin to burn is filterd by moisture baring clouds... how could I?


People here may dissagree with me, but this is how I think rain should be.

Peace,
-Josh

1 comment: